parish of Felmersham and Radwell is almost encircled by the river Ouse
as it winds its way through the north Bedfordshire countryside. Access
to Radwell from the south is over a six arched stone bridge built in
1766 and is one of several stone bridges in the north of the county
Whilst the bridge carries all the local traffic with no weight
restriction it does have a blind spot, which means care has to be taken
when crossing. Several times a year the Ouse valley and local approach roads
flood, cutting off access to Radwell from the south.
Upper Ouse Valley viewed
from Hall Farm, Radwell. May 2007
Radwell Bridge first built 1766
Cottages in Moor End Road
Radwell has a triangular-shaped village Green bordered with thatched
cottages and the former Swan pub, now a private dwelling.
There are 82 dwellings in Radwell making it a relatively small village
and it is often referred to as a hamlet. The properties are a mixture of
Victorian houses and older stone and brick cottages interspersed with modern
bungalows and houses.
The former Radwell Chapel built in 1807
Radwell has always been a small community but even so it did have a
church. In 1608 it is recorded that during a walk round the parish
bounds by the vicar and villagers one of the landmarks mentioned was St
James Chapel (Radwell). Nothing remains of the building which was near
During the C19 non-conformist revival a Methodist Chapel was
built in Radwell in 1807, it still stands in Moor End but was
converted to a modern looking house circa 1980.
an Iron Age settlement has been found at Radwell together with evidence of
a Roman-British farmstead, so like its neighbour Felmersham, it is likely
that there has been continuous occupation of Radwell from the Iron Age to
the present time.