Felmersham Village Sign
Pavenham Road
The High Road
Cottage Garden

Visitor Information

The Village of Felmersham
North Bedfordshire, England

For more info and images go to Felmersham Circular Walk

Five arched stone bridge across the River Ouse, 1818

The parish of Felmersham and Radwell is almost encircled by the river Ouse as it winds its way through the north Bedfordshire countryside. Access to Felmersham from the north is over a bridge built in 1818 and is one of several stone bridges in the north of the county including Radwell bridge.

Felmersham bridge was strengthened and repaired in 1993, but there has never been a weight restriction placed upon it, a tribute to those early C19 bridge builders. Several times a year the Ouse valley and local approach roads flood, cutting off access to the parish both from the north and the south.

Next to the bridge are two grassed areas known as the Jubilee Lawn and the Margaret Alleway Memorial Garden. They provide a pleasant setting where parishioners and visitors can sit and enjoy the river. Between the two grassed areas is a public slip from which boats and canoes can be launched.
 
Over looking the river is the C13 parish church, built between 1220 and 1240 it is a fine example of Early English architecture. The principal features outside are the west front and the central tower, and inside the cathedral like Early English arches at the central crossing and an early 15C (perpendicular) oak screen.


St Mary's Church - East End

Across the road from the church is the Tithe Barn. Built in 1428 it was sympathetically converted into four dwellings in the early Eighties. Prior to this it had stood empty for many years and it was the conversion that saved it from a eventual ruin.


Early 15C Tithe Barn

There are approx. 206 properties in the village and they are a mixture of old stone cottages and houses, Victorian brick built cottages, villas and houses and modern houses and bungalows.

Properties built in the sixties and seventies tend not to be sympathetic with the area, however more recent developments have been better designed and have added character to the village.

A circular village walk describes in words and pictures many of the interesting buildings.


Above: New housing in Memorial Lane.
Left: Town Lot Lane       Right: The River Ouse

 


The Sun Public House



The former Vicarage and stable block converted into four dwellings

Felmersham has a Lower School, a Village Hall a Play Park and the Sun Inn under the management of Benjamin and Hannah Just.  To the north of the village is a 52 acre Nature Reserve created from flooded gravel pits used for the extraction of sand and gravel to build local war time airfields.


There are several scenic walks in the area many of which are "way marked".

Pinchmill Lower School was opened in 1974. More Details....

Pinchmill Village Hall. The parish has use of the joint provision Hall outside normal school hours and overall use of the Committee Room and Toilet Facilities.   More Details....

 For more info and images go to Felmersham Circular Walk
 
Home Page  | Main Index  Felmersham History: Part 1 | Part 2 |  Part 3    Page last updated: 23/12/14 

Tourist Info | Walks | Church Guide | Organisations | Communications | Leisure  | Travel | Schools | Get Interactive | JournalGroups