Felmersham and Radwell can rent an allotment of land at the top of
Town Lot Lane on the right hand side. Those who are interested in
renting, 10 poles or more, should contact one of the Trustees or
Geoff Hulatt. The area of land
available is 5
acres, 1 rood, 11 poles.
Town Lot Trustees (also known as Poor's Estate)
The Vicar (ex-officio), two Churchwardens (ex-officio) and an
elected representative of the Parish Council. An honorary
secretary/treasurer is also appointed.
In 2011/12 the trustees are: Rev
Robert Evens, Jane
Wells, Ken Shrimpton and Peter Hartop. The Honorary Secretary/Treasurer:
David Folbigg. Allotment Coordinator: Geoff Hulatt.
The annual income from the charity is distributed to 12 senior members of
the parish in the form of a Christmas present. Once a person
benefits from the charity they continue to do so. One fourteenth part of the annual income goes to St Mary's
History of the
Town Lot Charity
Taken from Felmersham - The
History of a Riverside Parish by kind permission of the
John Leach died in 1687 and is buried in the north transept of
the church. He was lord of Felmersham manor and a member of the
Middle Temple. On the 15 October 1695 a conveyance was drawn up
between his widow, Judith Leach, who at the time was living in
London, and the vicar and churchwardens. The conveyance
transferred just over 5 acres of land to be held in trust to
rent out the premises, using the profits to be equally divided
once a year amongst the 12 most needy women of Felmersham End.
In 1765 the trustees benefited from the enclosure award insofar
as it consolidated the six scattered strips of arable and the 2½
acres of meadowland, into one holding situated on the right hand
side of Town Lot Lane. Originally known as Rowland Field it is
now more commonly known as Town Lot. (Town, in this context
meaning village and Lot, meaning allotment.) In 1910 the trust
deed was changed to include men as well as women, with one
fourteenth part of the income going to the church.